Pros and Cons of DIY Versus Hiring a Professional
Your water heater and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment are critical elements of your home. As such, it is important to clean, maintain, and replace these systems when needed to get the most efficient and cost saving results. Failing to upgrade or service your HVAC and water heater systems could have financial and safety-related consequences, so when it is time to handle your next project, make sure to hire a professional.
It may seem tempting to do it yourself, especially if you’re trying to save money or enjoy DIY projects in general, but the risks could outweigh the benefits. For example, let’s say you purchase parts from Home Depot to replace some parts in your AC system. You research some how-to videos and complete your project. Two weeks later, your AC system stops working. So, you purchase more parts from the store and try your luck one more time. However, the AC unit crashes yet again. You finally hire a professional, but they discover that your AC unit is permanently damaged.
Not only did you waste your time and risk your safety but also your money because you have to replace your entire AC unit, which typically costs thousands of dollars.
This is one reason to hire a professional for your HVAC or water heater systems, and we discuss more pros below:
- Higher quality parts: Technicians purchase parts from a supply house who provide a wider range and better quality parts needed to repair your HVAC unit and water heater. They are up-to-date on the new and improved tools that could get the job done and get it done right. As a result, your system could last longer.
- Longer lifespan: Hiring a professional can reduce the risks of system defects and crashes, helping your HVAC unit and water heater last longer. This is because they use top-quality parts (as we discussed above) and obtain the experience and training needed to prevent problems from happening. Not to mention, the maintenance agreements and warranties that you receiver when hiring a professional could help protect your investment, which we discuss further below.
- Maintenance agreements: If you hire a professional to maintain your HVAC and water heater, you will receive regular, timely scheduled maintenance visits. As a result, your equipment can last longer and remain significantly energy-efficient. Maintenance agreements typically include discounts on parts and repairs when necessary, which will help your wallet altogether and you should have priority scheduling. This can be the best perk of a maintenance agreement if your AC goes out in August in Texas or your pipes freeze during the winter.
- Warranty agreements: A warranty is a contracted guarantee that a product or service will function a certain way. If the product or service fails to meet such standards, the manufacturer or service provider will handle the issue at little to no cost, as outlined in the warranty agreement. By hiring a professional, the service and equipment they use will be covered by a warranty in the event that your HVAC or water heater malfunctions. A warranty will also come with equipment bought from a box store but the warranty may be limited to equipment installed by a licensed technician and serviced regularly and maintenance logs are kept which professional service companies will do for you.
- Save time: Technicians know what they are doing, as they are licensed, certified, trained, and experienced. As such, they can complete a service much faster, saving you hours and even days of time, effort and possibly frustration.
- Save money: With all of the above benefits in mind, you can see that hiring a professional can save you money in the long run. Your investment should last longer and run more efficiently saving you money over the lifespan of the equipment.
You may be wondering what the cons of hiring a professional for your HVAC unit or water system needs could be. The answer? You may have to pay more money to hire a professional at first, but the costs of doing it yourself far exceed those of getting a professional. Not to mention, you will miss out on all the pros we listed above, which are extensive.
Your family’s health and safety are priceless. Hiring a professional is the best way to ensure your HVAC and water systems are functioning to the highest standards and last longer. Not only do you need this, but you deserve it.
Our technicians at 1st Home & Commercial Services are your 1st choice for all your plumbing, electrical, air condition and heating solutions. With over a decade in business, locally owned, and well over 100 years of experience collectively, our team will take care of you. Call our office today at (512) 957-2992!