A nonfunctioning air conditioning system is probably one of the most frustrating problems an Austinite home or business owner can face. At 1st Home & Commercial Services we understand the urgency to get your system up and running again. Which is why we offer fast service to get your property's air conditioning system operating again. If you require AC repair in Austin, call us anytime to check our availability.
“Expedient, courteous, and informative.”- Jeremy L.
“Our plumber was awesome. On time and knowledgeable. Found and fixed our issue in no time and even found a few issues that we didn't know we even had. Great job!”- Dustin Brown
“All the electricians and plumbers have been so nice and helpful. They don't try to oversell. I will continue to call 1st Home for any home repair needs.”- Lauren G.
Noisy AC units are among the most common complaints we get. It’s important to understand that even a properly functioning air conditioner is still a large, metal machine made up of moving parts that are working hard (especially during our Central Texas summers) to keep your home cool. It’s not always quiet work.
Here are a few of the most common culprits behind loud air conditioners:
- Rattling: If your outdoor unit is rattling, it’s possible something has fallen into the vents. Check your unit for debris like leaves and sticks. Also check that all screws, bolts, and fasteners are tightened — loose connectors could also be the source of this noise.
- Banging/Clanking: This is a sign that something inside the unit is loose, broken, or unbalanced. You’ll want to call in your HVAC specialist to take a look.
- Grinding: Grinding noises usually mean that something is wrong with one of your fan motors. It’s important to get this looked at as soon as possible, as the failing part could cause damage to other parts of your unit.
- Buzzing: This can be the result of a number of different issues. There may be debris in the unit, the condenser coils might need to be cleaned, or the fan blades might be loose or out of balance. If you hear a buzzing noise and your unit keeps freezing up or isn’t cooling, contact an air conditioning repair company immediately.
- Clicking: Most units click as they cycle on and off. However, constant or continuous clicking could indicate a defective thermostat or control.
- Popping: This usually indicates an issue with your ductwork, not your AC unit. Just like the rest of your system, ductwork is subject to wear and tear and requires regular maintenance.
- Hissing: If the hissing noise is coming from inside the house, it’s another indication that ductwork repairs might be in order. If, however, the hissing is coming from the outdoor unit, it might indicate a refrigerant leak. This is a major issue and needs immediate professional attention.
- Screaming: This is the most serious one. If your unit is making a high-pitched screaming noise, shut it down and call for AC repairs immediately. There might be unusually high internal pressure in the compressor, which can be very dangerous. Your unit might shut down on its own, which is a good thing — an internal sensor is protecting you from this potential hazard.
It’s important to know what your unit sounds like on any given day, so that you can recognize when an unfamiliar noise is trying to alert you that something’s off. Don’t ignore strange noises! At worst, they signal truly dangerous situations that can lead to the need of a new AC unit. More often, ignoring them will lead to more costly repairs down the line.
Contact us today for AC repair in Austin!