While Central Texas winters are relatively mild, we do experience our fair share of cool weather elements, like wind and rain that can wreak havoc on Austin plumbing. Factor in elevated mineral deposits in our water, and you can appreciate the value of adding plumbing tips to your existing spring cleaning schedule.
Austin plumbing experts recommend these tips to help ensure your plumbing remains worry free throughout the year.
- First, check your gutters, drains and downspouts for debris. A debris buildup can cause drains to clog, which in turn can lead to water damage and mold growth.
- While you’re outside, make sure your plumbing pipes and vents are clear of leaves, sticks and bird nests.
- Check your hose bib, or wall faucet, for leaks. Winter temperatures can make these threaded spigots expand and contract, causing leakages.
- As precious as water is in Central Texas, leaks are not acceptable.
- Check your water supply valve to make sure it’s in good working order.
- Check kitchen and bathroom faucets for leaks.
- Check your toilet for leaks. You can do this by simply dropping a few drops of food coloring in the tank. The food coloring will end up in the toilet bowl within about 30 minutes if a leak exists.
- Make sure all toilets flush correctly, and replace any parts that aren’t working properly.
- Check your shower heads for buildup. If you suspect water flow is hampered by mineral buildup, simply fill a bag with white vinegar and place it over the shower head. Secure it with rubber bands, making sure that the shower head is submerged in the vinegar. Leave on for 24 hours. This all natural, non-corrosive remedy should gently remove the mineral deposits, leaving your shower head flowing like new, again.
Simple checks and inexpensive repairs now can help prevent bigger, more costly problems in the future. 1st Plumbing services offers an annual maintenance agreements that includes a whole house inspection including a water heater flush.
1st Home and Commercial Services provides licensed plumbers in Austin, TX, licensed plumbers in Buda, TX and licensed plumbers in Kyle, TX who are well versed in helping you ready your home for spring.